Application for first semester
- Admission to the bachelor's degree program in Architecture and Urban Planningis restricted and depends on the number of places available.
- An internship before or during the bachelor's degree program is not compulsory. However, we strongly advise prospective students to spend a few weeks on a construction site and/or with and architecture firm to get some professional experience before embarking on their studies.
Digitally at C@mpus:
- Copy of your university entrance qualification, a university entrance qualification in a relevant subject/discipline or a non-German university entrance qualification which has been recognized as equivalent by the responsible government office
- Proof of any extra-curricular activities, internship or work-experience in a relevant field, vocational training (completed or not) or other work in a field relevant to the study program, in the form of a tabular résumé with supporting documentation (no bigger than A4 format), that demonstrate in what ways you are suitable for the bachelor's degree program in architecture
- Personal motivation statement outlining why you have chosen this study program and profession (no more than one A4 sheet)
- Your digital portfolio with photos, copies of drawings or photocopies of projects or activities which demonstrate your aptitude for this particular study program. The portfolio topic changes each year and is announced on 15 March. The application topic for the 2021/22 winter semester is: "Spatial Constraints"
- The portfolio must be submitted in A4 format. Please upload your digital portfolio in PDF format with a maximum of 10 MB to the application portal C@mpus.
- The bachelor's degree program begins each year in the winter semester.
The current closing date for applications is 15 July of each year. Due to the worldwide pandemic 2021, the date has been postponed to 31.07.2021.
- Application documents must be submitted digitally to C@mpus. A list of all the important information and application formalities can be found on our C@mpus online portal
- Please register directly online using the C@mpus portal of the University of Stuttgart Admissions Office. You will be issued an application number.
Decisions on admissions to the first semester will be taken by a faculty selection committee.
The application and admission procedure is set out in the "University of Stuttgart's regulations on the University's selection procedure for the Architecture and Urban Planning Bachelor of Science study program of 18 March 2013. General information on applications, the admission procedure and who to contact at the Admissions Office can be found here.
The results of the procedure are usually announced just before the beginning of the winter or summer semester. You will be notified by the Admissions Office.
Application for higher semesters
Applicants wishing to enroll directly in a higher semester of the Architecture and Urban Planning Bachelor's Degree Program can only apply if they are or were already enrolled in architecture at another university or institute of higher education and are still eligible to sit examinations there. They must submit a new application and be accepted to the study program
Students are required to apply through the C@mpus online portal of the University of Stuttgart Admissions Office.
The closing date for applications usually is 15 January and 15 July. Due to the worldwide pandemic 2021, the date has been postponed to 31.07.2021. For actual dates and notifications please contact our Communication Center.
Students whose applications have been accepted for entry to a higher semester can apply for recognition of previous examination results. For information please consult the Faculty examination committee. Students must provide proof of examination results from lower semesters. If study achievements from previous universities, etc. still do not cover all topics required by our Faculty, students are expected to take the missing exams. For further information see Examination Regulations 2015.
Application procedure - FAQs
No, your application documents do not have to be certified. Copies are sufficient.
Please do not send originals!
Yes, but your personal contribution to the project must be apparent. If your personal contribution is not clear, you should choose a different project.
Yes, in some cases. This is set out in § 20 of the Examination Regulations.
Applications for recognition of credits must be submitted to the Faculty examination committee with the signature of the examiner (professor). They must then be submitted to the Examination Office.
To submit your application use the form here. A list of your current exam results and assessed coursework must be attached to your application.
More information on recognition can be found on the University of Stuttgart ILIAS online platform under "Downloads" > "Magazin".
No, so make sure your application documents are complete. The Campus application portal closes at midnight on the application closing date 15 July.
Your letter of admission will state the closing date for enrollment. Once you have accepted your place via the C@mpus portal, you can download the letter of admission and print it out.
In some cases, enrollments for the winter semester may be accepted until 15 November. For further information consult the Admissions Office.
The Faculty of Architecture and Urban Planning does not give grounds for individual cases. If your application is refused you will receive a standard reply from the University of Stuttgart. The wording has no bearing on our selection procedure or your specific case. The letter merely states "You have not been accepted."
The Examination Regulations do not require a study semester abroad. However, if you wish you can request leave of absence to take a study semester abroad. For more information contact the University of Stuttgart's International Center or seek advice from the Bachelor International advisor. You should start planning about a year beforehand.
No, we do not provide prior advice on portfolios, nor do we comment afterwards.
Yes, in order to enroll at the University of Stuttgart you must apply through the application procedure by 15 July even if you have already received permission or a guarantee for a scholarship through an international selection procedure of a foreign university or institute of higher education.
You should also contact Mr. Rainer Goutrié, international coordinator, at the Faculty of Architecture and Urban Planning.